Monday, October 20, 2008

Once Around the River Bend






Soooo, it was finally the weekend to go on our overnight kayak trip! Of course, the weather took a turn for the colder right before we were to leave! I woke up on Saturday morning, not real sure that this was a good idea for me to go, seeing how much I love to be cold and wet. However, I am so happy that we went! We had a blast! It was a great group of people, beautiful scenery, and great food! With warm clothes and a camp fire, I was not a bit cold! We kayaked for a total of about 8 miles down Chattanooga's River Gorge. The scenery was breathtaking. I only got to start enjoying the scenery after lunch on the first day as the first part of the day I was completely absorbed in what I was doing. I had a traumatic first experience in the kayak. As soon as they put me in, the wind was blowing and quickly blew me way out into the middle of the river and down the river in the opposite direction from where we were supposed to be. I have never been in a kayak before and had not a clue what to do. Luckily, the one of the guides raced down river to save me and give me some direction on turning around. After awhile in the kayak, I felt much calmer and in control and could then enjoy the scenery and experience. Hanging out at the camp site was a lot of fun. The men played poker and the women yahatzee. We also sat around and talked, roasted marshmallows, and ate and ate. It really was an amazing trip and would recommend it to anyone!

3 comments:

Aimee D said...

This is why I would much prefer the solid ground...eating, fellowship, warm fire, no runaway kayaks...

but I'm SO glad you had fun!

Joy said...

How fun! It sounds like a total blast!!! Not for me, but a total blast! Thanks for sharing the pictures with us!!!

Jennifer said...

I'm glad you had such a good time. I'll keep a warm chimaney in the backyard, though.